Tuesday, May 14, 2013

.....choir concert.......

....my daughter had her last jr. high concert last night.........she blows me away.......that girl can sing.....she didn't get it from me......it's all her.......I wonder if the high school has any idea what is coming their way......I hope they use her wisely........I wish I had input into the musicals they choose for the next four years........Hairspray, Annie Get Your Gun, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Hello Dolly, My Fair Lady, Wicked.........they did The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee this year.......if I'd known I'd have asked if a rising 8th grade star could audition......she did I Speak Six Languages as a solo in competition so she could have walked on for that part..........and yes.......I know I want it all.........it's just that she really has something special...........I cannot wait.......
I sometimes wonder if her birth family deserves to know how talented she is..........but then I remember they had their chance.....they could have stepped up and had her at any time but didn't.....

Part of the foster/adopt program is returning to a training to tell your story (happy or sad).......I took my beautiful two-year-old daughter to a training and needless to say........everyone was smitten.....my message to the newbies was simple.........don't make a choice based on paperwork...........Abby was not an easy sell.....mixed race, Dandy Walker Cyst with a shunt.....2 neuro surgeries before she was even 3 months old......late with motor/balance skills........endless therapy that turned into dance for 10 years.......incarcerated birth parents.....tons of siblings placed all around........I didn't know any of that....I just knew that a round-faced baby was pounding her fists on the desk in the waiting room of my workplace......she pounded until I looked at her ........and then she gave me a twinkling smile.......she was tucked under the arm of her foster mother (a nurse) and was only along for the ride...another foster child in the home had therapy........that's all it took........I asked.....I got........I'm not forgetting all of the roadblocks and tears ...just not focused on them unless I'm telling someone the dangers of foster/adopt........I have a happy ending.......I got....she's mine.....that can't change.....

I guess I should not snap at her when she pounds/taps on every surface when she's bored or antsy......it worked magic once....why wouldn't she keep pounding those fists?......

No comments:

Post a Comment